Highlights from the IHE NA Connectathon 2018
The IHE NA Connectathon hit its 19th anniversary this year and the IHE profile development and testing process continued to advance the adoption of interoperable health IT system.
This year the IHE NA Connectathon served as an intersecting point for legacy health IT systems and new and emerging technology in both the Connectathon and IHE Plug-a-thon. IHE’s thought leadership was also showcased at The Road to Interoperability Workshop with stories from implementers of IHE Profiles – The Sequoia Project's eHealth Exchange and Strategic Health Information Exchange Collaborative (SHIEC) Patient-Centered Data Home.
Through the week, IHE’s process was acknowledged as a key player in advancing interoperability by leveraging mHealth, Blockchain, Internet of things and HL7 FHIR®. The IHE NA Plug-a-thon brought together several technical implementers spanning healthcare solutions leveraging HL7 FHIR® for devices, mHealth apps, Internet of Things - Medical, and Blockchain - Healthcare. As these are emerging technologies, attendees had the opportunity to learn from leading experts in these areas as well as identify potential use cases, challenges and opportunities associated with these technologies in healthcare, and agree on next steps as these areas gain increased awareness and utilization.
If you weren't able to attend or want an easy breakdown of what the IHE Connectathon is and its benefits, check out this recent blog post explaining why the event matters.
The breadth of programs and educational opportunities at the IHE NA Connectathon continued to grow in 2018. Below is a full list of all the events and testing options on-site this year:
- IHE NA Connectathon of IHE Profiles and Consolidated CDA
- Three IHE Plug-a-thon tracks including mHealth, Internet of Things- Medical, Blockchain – Healthcare and Devices on FHIR®
- IHE NA Connectathon Social Event at Dante's Inferno
- HIMSS informational breakfast featuring testing programs including ConCert by HIMSS and the Immunization Integration Program
- The Road to Interoperability Workshop – Educational event for health IT executives focused on adoption and implementation of IHE Profiles
- Disruptive Health IT Fireside Chat and Networking Session
- IHE NA Plug-a-thon Educational Session
IHE NA Connectathon 2018 Highlights:
- 63 participating organizations
- 90 discrete individual systems being tested
- 2,374 tests verified by monitors
- 100+ IHE Profiles available for testing
- Nearly 500 engineers working collaboratively to test interoperability
- 41 monitors carrying out and independently judging the tests
- $2.8 million of test effort (500 x 8 hrs/day x 5 days x $140/hr) - not including a very sizeable amount of prep and setup time!)
- 75 systems will continue on to promote their success at the HIMSS18 Interoperability ShowcaseTM March 5-8, 2018
Teams working together to debug problems:
Save the date for the IHE NA Connectathon 2019 happening in Cleveland, Ohio January 21-25, 2019.