Path to Production: Advancing Interoperability for Emergency Medicine Services
IHE USA (powered by HIMSS) and NEMSIS (powered by NHTSA’s Office of EMS) are partnering to advance interoperability for EMS Systems to better support First Responders, Emergency Medicine Services, and Disaster Response. The EMS community can advance interoperability by leveraging existing interoperability standards, regulatory building blocks, and health IT infrastructure which will accelerate the modernization of EMS systems and improved interoperability to inform analytics, business intelligence and improved patient health outcomes.
IHE USA curated free specialized education sessions for Health IT Developers to help provide a hands-on introduction to basic query operations. These first meetings were focused on 2022 IHE Connectathon preparation and provided an introduction to querying certified Health IT using industry standard interoperability specifications. IHE USA will be hosting additional sessions in the lead up to Connectathon in 2023.
- Health IT Developers: Introduction to CDA/FHIR Queries for Health Information
(3-4pm EST) Friday Afternoons - Next SEssions (TBD)
Take advantage of this unique learning opportunity geared towards supporting Emergency Medicine Services and the NEMSIS Community: 1:1 instruction, Q/A sessions, and specific examples of working code. Discussions will focus on EMS community needs, however, any stakeholders interested in learning about how to query ONC Certified Health IT for health information are welcome!
Additional Upcoming Events:
- IHE USA’s Digital Webinar Series – the Path to Production
Two, half-days of on-demand interoperability education sessions and resources. This month we kick off the NEMSIS eOutcomes Interoperability Project.
- November 16 & 17, 2022
- IHE North American Connectathon RECAP: IHE Experience Day & Standards Acceleration
September 13-15, 2022
- Day 1, the IHE Experience on Tuesday September 13, provides a robust overview of international and national interoperability priorities with joint programming between the IHE North American Connectathon in Atlanta and the IHE European Connectathon in Montreux, Switzerland.
- Days 2 and 3, join IHE USA and other industry subject matter experts as we cover important interoperability, cybersecurity and privacy initiatives that span public health, maternal health, artificial intelligence, and more! The Standards Acceleration Program is designed to convene industry thought leaders to exchange ideas and promote the “Art of the Possible” with regards to standards based interoperability. Hear about the Davies Award Program, HIMSS Interoperability Showcase, ONC Cooperative Agreement with IHE USA, and more from the interop.community and other state based health IT initiatives.
- Program: https://www.iheusa.org/ihe-global-connectathon-2022/connectathon-programming
- Workshop Report (in progress)
Note: IHE USA provides scholarships for interested stakeholders are available to help fund participation: https://www.iheusa.org/ihe-global-connectathon-2022/scholarship
2023 IRAP Scholarship information to be posted in November 2022.
Questions about participating in any of these initiatives can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Expect in 2022
IHE USA’s Path to Production series takes place throughout 2022. Here is more information about upcoming events within the series.
August Past Path to Production Sessions:
Register for free here: Path to Production: Preparing for Connectathons: NEMSIS Project Kickoff
Tuesday, August 30: Keynote and Project Announcement from Dr. N. Clay Mann - Principal Investigator, NEMSIS TAC and Professor at University of Utah School of Medicine; 2022 Path to Production replay sessions, and IHE Deep Dives on relevant profiles supporting EMS interoperability; prep sessions for IHE Connectathon participants
Wednesday August 31: Two Live collaboration sessions. 1) NEMSIS & IHE USA Industry Listening Session: Advancing EMS Interoperability - Join SMEs from IHE USA and the NEMSIS TAC for this essential industry listening session which follows the official announcement and project launch for the IHE USA and NEMSIS eOutcomes Interoperability project launch. 2) IHE USA and the Gravity Project: Gravity Affinity Pilot Workgroups
Solutions and business case in hand, it is time to get to work. This event brings public and private developers together to present prototypes, iterate with their clinical and policy maker colleagues, and get those solutions ready for interoperability testing at the upcoming IHE North American Connectathon.